Monday, October 13, 2014

Sound-focused versus Self-focused

In the book The Balanced Musician by McAllister talks about sound-focused and self-focused thought in Chapter 6.
Self-focused is more on what you think you are doing wrong, or right in some cases, and sound-focused is more on imagery and sound cues.
I definitely have a combination of these thoughts. Lately I have a lot of self-focused thoughts because I am still working on my piece.

One of my most successful performances was playing the first movement of the Kennan Sonata.  I just remember thinking that I love my sound. I liked the sound of the room. I felt like the style was just right too. The parts that were aggressive and brassy and then the lyrical sections sounded so nice and sorrowful. I just was nailing all the pitches.
In my most unsuccessful performance I can't remember the name of the piece, but it was my spring semester sophomore year for juries. The worst part about it was I was off with the accompaniment. I had a hard time counting the measures because the meter changed a lot. I just remember feeling rushed and lost. Plus I had to play the song pretty slow because I wasn't prepared. I remember getting made that they quick sections didn't sound too clear. I felt like it was sloppy and unprepared.

Some more positive self-talk would be thinking, "I can do this. I am prepared for this. I will play it right this time," or even, "Okay, that wasn't so great, but the next will be better." And of course thinking about the imagery you want to achieve for the piece would be ideal.

My piece has many points where there are different idea changes which I have indicated on my mind map. In the Arutiunian trumpet concerto, there is the opening which has a lot of flare. Then it moves into a quicker section which I call the hustle and bustle, adventurous section. It is quicker and light. Then it moves into a slower section that sounds like love, and it's so pretty. Then the quick section returns, but it feels more sporadic and certain parts are the same. Then comes the muted section in E flat minor. This part sounds mournful like he is losing his love. Again the the main theme from the quicker section comes again. Then it goes into a new alternative quick theme with more double tonguing section then into triples. Last is the cadenza. Has conflicting feelings. It sounds strong and powerful, yet sometimes smooth and lyrical. I feel like it's showing two sides of one person, kind of what we have seen the entire time.




 If the above video does not work here is the link (http://youtu.be/Bo9BBWmp4Rg)
Now to analyze my personal recording of my piece, it quite rough.
1. Overall I would rate my efforts as a 6. Some parts were good and things are getting better, but there were some sections that were horrendous. I loved my opening and the lyrical section were pretty good. I also didn't mind the fast section immediately after the opening. It's getting better. I also furrowed my brow less so that is good. 

2. specific areas
accuracy: 6
concentration: 8
memory: 0, I haven't started working on that. It is not a completely necessary thing for me. It's a goal I have, but if I do not attain it it will be ok.
D. Confidence: 7, good in parts and bad in the connecting sections. That was the worst and the parts I practiced the least.
E. Musicality: 8? 7.75. Not bad, I could probably do more. My chops got tired near the end and I messed up things like certain high notes I normally nail.

3. I think I could use to move a little more with my body to show the characteristics with body. I noticed I did move a little more than I think I normally do. I wish I played a little more upright. I bend over the trumpet a little more. I could use to raise the horn a little more.
4. I think I talked a lot about it above. Transitional sections that from around the 5 minute mark. Inbetween the two lyrical sections. I also need to build up endurance because I am getting worn out. I still could use to more pianos. I get pretty loud the reverse dynamic would probably help make an even greater impact.
5. I really liked my muted section. It had a lot of the feeling I was hoping. I still think it could be a little more connected and a little softer at points. I also liked the opening. I think it had the right flare and power. I thought it flowed a better than it has in past. I also liked my first lyrical section. I always enjoy that section.
6. Now I didn't have an audience because I was quite busy with work, and not many people were here over fall break. But I think something I really need to pay attention to is my posture. I would look much more profession if I paid attention to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment