Monday, September 29, 2014

Self Talk and Modeling

Answers to page 94 from a Balanced Musician
1. I have actually started using self-talk in other aspects of my life recently. I tend to think the worse and stress myself out. Recently I didn't prep as well for a test as I should have, although most of the material was review. I went into it saying, "You know the material. You have done this before. You have studied. You can do this. You went to class, and you have paid attention. You can do this." I literally muttered it to myself as I walked across campus to my test. I actually did really well and got an A, which I don't normally get. I think I'm going to try and do this more. It helps relax me and helps me realize I should trust myself.
I get stressed and disappointed in myself a lot. I am probably my hardest critic. I always say I should have studied more, I shouldn't have watched this show, I should be practicing more. I normally get pretty down on myself when practicing. I yell a swear word and I just try and get better. But, I try to let it go and do better the next time. I also get disappointed in my other studies. I always have so much going on most of the time I don't do well is I didn't have enough time to put into the assignment. That is so frustrating to me. I don't know where all the time goes.

2. Modeling, which is having someone demonstrate how to sound or play a certain part, is a huge part of playing the trumpet. Once you get to advanced levels, it is not so much "Do this with your lips," or, "Do this with your air." It is, "Hear how I am playing and try and sound like me." Trying to worry about what is happening in your mouth, with your body, or with your lungs distracts from being musical. Focusing on listening to how someone plays it and just trying to imitate it is so important. My old professor used to say, "How did I do that? I don't know! But, I heard it and my body found a way to make it happen." I feel like that's totally true. You try and play with more of a bounce. Well you could tell them to literally stop the air between notes or you let the player feel it. Playing the trumpet is all about your ear. Hearing how you want to sound and then trying to put it into your playing. If I am not getting a style most of the time my professor can play it once and I pick up on how to do it. Because I pay close attention to the sound and try and fit my sound into that. I'll say this once again.
Playing the trumpet is all about hearing what you want to sound like.
Learn that lesson and you will go far.

No comments:

Post a Comment