Monday, October 27, 2014

Narrow Objective Focus



In this post I analyze some quotes from an article on Narrow Objective Focus. 

Really like how it describes what a narrow objective focus is. I feel like this may relate to a lot of other things than just a musical performance. I can see that I use this type of focus a lot for my studies and it definitely is taxing and in the long run, I’m not sure what I get out from all of it. I do depend on this frequently, but in general I think my generation is required to. There is so much we are expected to know, learn, and be involved in that it is hard not to use narrow objective focus frequently. 

I have never really thought of how often at a young age that we are told to concentrate our thought better. It’s interesting. I also made me think of this article I read recently about how a teacher went through a student’s day of classes for two days and was shocked about how the students felt. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/answer-sheet/wp/2014/10/24/teacher-spends-two-days-as-a-student-and-is-shocked-at-what-she-learned/ Interesting read. 

The idea that imagining performance uses the same part of the brain as actually performing reminds me of a discussion we had in class about studying, looking, and listening to our pieces is helpful to later playing the piece. 

This article was interesting because it says narrow focus is good and bad, so it’s hard for me to decide which it is. Sometimes it’s helpful to only narrowly focus on a couple things and the rest in background, yet they say that it is good to be aware of space and our surrounding and we will have a less stressful life. So I think narrow focus is good, but we need to balance it to make sure we are not over-stressing ourselves with this limited focus.

No comments:

Post a Comment