Monday, November 10, 2014

Mental Practice

1. a. Monday: no practice I had a lesson
        Tuesday: Practice at 11:30 or after studio, not sure if we have it this week, for one hour
        Wednesday: Practice after 2pm for an hour and a half
        Thursday: no practice
        Friday: practice after classes 2pm for one hour
        Saturday: practice in the early afternoon again. Practice session 2 hours
        Sunday: no practice.
   b. There will be mental practice at most sessions. especially on Saturday. I think I will try and integrate it slightly by singing parts practicing articulation verbally or working on fingerings. Possibly listening to the music as well
    c. Aural memory is definitely my strong suit and I think it makes sense why I have focused so much on my sound throughout the years. I will try and focus like I said on maybe singing the parts or saying the rhythms that I struggle with out loud, which would tap into those aural skills.
    d. My weakest modality is Analytical memory. I really don't think in chord progression or key. it doesn't tend to help me either. Sometimes my professor will write down, it's just a Gb scale and I will still struggle with it because maybe it doesn't start on Gb and that makes a huge difference to my ear in hearing that. I honestly think that this skill is not necessary to understanding a piece. It may help others to strengthen this, but my strength is not in music theory. My strength is in my sound. I have to work on technique to get there. I could try and figure out chords or scale passages that are associated with the passages I am playing and write that in and see if it helps. Normally the fingering I struggle with are ones that are not scaler. I also don't hear intervals. I never took sight singing so I can't hear a perfect fourth etc. I can hear thirds because I was used to that from my choral background. I would have to overall strengthen my theory skills to improve in this area.

No comments:

Post a Comment